Kingfisher’s preparatory school phase is split into Junior Preparatory (Grades 1 to 3) and Senior Preparatory (Grades 4 to 7).
Learners in the Foundation Phase study the following subjects:
- First Language – English
- Second Language – Afrikaans
- Life Skills
Kingfisher Private School follows the Curriculum and Assessment Policy Statements (CAPS), but is committed to extending and enriching the content as to develop critical thinking skills and other competencies required for our learners to live in a rapidly changing world.
A policy of formal and continuous assessment is followed with all tasks and assignments assessed. Tests, examinations and assignments are structured to include all levels of thinking.
A report is sent home each term. The Grade 1 – 3 reports are assessment reports graded on a 1 – 7 scale. An evaluation on homework, involvement, responsibility and co-operation are assessed as good, average and weak.
Homework is an extension of activities done in class and should help the learner achieve mastery by practicing new skills.
Grades 1 to 3
* Reading, Mathematics and / or English & Afrikaans homework to be done everyday.
* The educator may request items relating to the topic being dealt with at school.
* No homework is to be given over weekends or holidays.
* Homework should not take longer than 15 minutes unless extension work is given to a specific learner at the educator’s discretion.
Grades 2 and 3
* Homework should not take longer than 30 minutes unless extension work is given to a specific learner at the educator’s discretion.
The School has Prize Giving once a year, where learners are acknowledged for their hard work.
* Year end – A certificate is awarded for 100% school attendance. Certificates are awarded for all the Learning Areas. Top Reader award is presented to the learner who reads competently and has read the most school readers through the year.
Top Student award is presented to the learner who is the top achiever in all the Learning Areas.
The Junior Sports Person award is presented to a learner who has participated and excelled in school sports.
Various sport are offered at Kingfisher Private School, and this changes seasonally. See the Extra Mural timetable every term for the applicable sport.
Life skills excursions are undertaken throughout the year and could include a visit to any of the following:
* Kruger National Park
* Fire station
* Water board
* Police station